Izzybella!

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

A Super-flo-us Post

So, based on this post made on my sister's blog (second to the last paragraph), she and I have been emailing back and forth this morning about the words we have mispronounced in our day. For your reading pleasure (all 1 of you), here are a few:

Me:
Gawain, as in Sir Gawain, which started this entire thing. Apparently, it's pronounced GOW-an, like COW-an. Who knew? Besides my sister, I mean. And probably my friend, Melissa.

Super-Flo-Us for superfluous--the first time I heard it pronounced correctly, I actually said, "don't you mean super-flo-us?" Oh, yes, I am that dumb.

Chamomile. I used the lesser-known "ch" pronunciation.

Hors d'oeuvre. Okay, I shouldn't be too hard on myself, here. After all, it is technically a foreign language. But I was very embarrassed when I was corrected at my father and step-monster's wedding reception. (step-monster used here affectionately--I call her that to her face every time we speak)

Finally, the name Wakefield. As a child, I pronounced it Wak-a-field. My sister corrected me. And then she laughed at me. She still laughs when she remembers it.

And to make myself feel better....

My sister pronounced Achilles, using the "ch" sound instead of the "k" sound.

I feel better already.

6 Comments:

Blogger Faith said...

Too funny! There were many more words that I mispronounced until I was corrected. I used to pronounce segue as "segg." But I learned later that it was pronounced seg-way. There were a bunch more, but I can't think of them right now. I have to say that your funniest mispronunciation was Wak-a-field. It made me think of Fozzie Bear, wokka wokka!

10:17 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Okay, here's one for you -

Dubuque

It's French and the name of the town I live in...

Good luck! ;-) lol

9:29 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

duh-byook ;-)

12:56 AM  
Blogger Izzybella said...

HA! Knew I knew it.

I am so mature. :)

10:31 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

LMAO

10:27 PM  
Blogger Izzybella said...

LOL! So, apparently I've also been mispronouncing beauchamp (bo-champ)! I learn something new everyday... Sheesh!

Is the fact that I'm from Texas an excuse? I suddenly feel compelled to cut Bush some slack when it comes to correct pronunciation!

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home