Izzybella!

Friday, August 25, 2006

Books and Films and Memes, Oh, My!

1. What book or books were special to you in your childhood?

I loved pretty much anything by L.M. Montgomery--the Emily books, the Anne books, as well as her stand-alones. I read and re-read them constantly. I also read Rebecca by Daphne du Mauier when I was twelve and loved it, thus beginning a love affair with gothic novels (Barbara Michaels, Phyllis Whitney, etc.) that continues to this day. I read the Trixie Belden books, as well as Nancy Drew and the Hardy boys. And, I confess that in my teen years, I absolutely devoured the Sweet Valley High series.

2. What was particularly special or memorable about those books?

The Emily books appealed to me because there was such a strong sense of destiny and purpose for all three of the main characters. It wasn't just that Emily wanted to write that I identified with; it was that she must write; she had to. Even if 9/10ths of what she wrote was pure garbage, it was worth it for the 1/10 that wasn't. I just liked that. Anne appealed to me simply because she represented a way of life I craved. She was safety and security and sweetness personified. I liked the danger and mystery of Rebecca, and I credit that particular novel with my eventual introduction to Jane Austen. My sister, hearing how much I loved Rebecca, recommended Northanger Abbey, which ultimately led me to Pride & Prejudice, one of my all-time favorites. Trixie Belden, et al, appealed to me just because I loved, and still do, a good mystery. Finally, I admit that Sweet Valley High is pure trash, but I enjoyed it when I was in Jr. High. They were so over-the-top melodramatic, and face it, I've always been drawn to the drama. I wanted to be Elizabeth, because she was so pretty and smart and had the cute boyfriend and the cushy job in the school newspaper. I read SVH from about age 12 until I was 15 or so.

3. Have you re-read any of them as an adult?

I constantly re-read L.M. Montgomery. I have occasionally re-read Rebecca, but it's been a while. My sister bought me a couple of Trixie Belden novels one day when she was feeling nostalgic. As for SVH, I skimmed through one at Half Price Books about a year ago and laughed myself silly.

4. If so, were the books as good as you remembered them?

L.M. Montgomery's were just as good, if not better for having had some life experiences. Trixie was entertaining enough. SVH was appallingly bad.

5. What do you think about movies being made out of children's classics (like the Chronicles of Narnia, Lord of The Rings, etc.)?

I like seeing them made into movies if they're done well. The 1993 Secret Garden adaptation was marvelous, as was the BBC Pride & Prejudice with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle. I also liked the adaptations of Narnia and LOTR. You can't please every single fan in adapting classics to film, but I thought they captured the spirit of the books beautifully. It's when they tromp all over the spirit of the books that I have a problem with things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home