Izzybella!

Friday, September 29, 2006

Random Thought and a Rant

It’s such a pretty day today. We had a cold front come through and the temperature is supposed to top out at about 79. That, and the cool breeze, makes this the perfect day to be outside, which, naturally, means I am currently inside. I’m having a slow moment at work right now, but they frown upon me leaving my desk merely to frolic in the outdoors. Apparently, they would rather I be available via telephone and email to the clients I serve. How rude. I think it’s very unreasonable of them to expect me to actually do the job they’re paying me for. (Kidding, of course.)

So, there was an article in today’s student newspaper about the theatre I work at part-time. Headline: AFTER 11 YEARS, THEATRE FINDS SHOW SUCCESS. Now I found this very interesting, if only because the theatre in question has had 34 extremely successful seasons and is, in fact, one of the most popular theatres in the D/FW area. Actors, designers, and directors from this particular theatre have been nominated for multiple area awards, as well as numerous “Best Of” community awards given by daily and weekly newspapers—and the shows I’ve worked have all, with one or two exceptions, been sell-out shows. So I just had to laugh at the story’s slant of under-dog theatre finally finding great success.

The Box Office manager just barely called me, and it seems that what the newspaper reporter was actually told was something along the lines of “The last time we revived Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat was 11 years ago.” Clearly the newspaper reporter wasn’t paying careful attention. I’m not surprised, as the paper has a reputation for misquoting people. One of them was a friend of mine from the theatre department, who was giving an interview about a series of intensive Shakespeare scenes the department was producing and opening up to the public. The article provided a quotation from the play my friend was directing—the problem was, the quotation was actually from a different Shakespeare play. It was like the interviewer just googled “Shakespeare” and plugged in the first quotation she found. We laughed about it, but my friend was really annoyed because the interviewer credited the inaccurate quotation to her.

Anyway, I think the funniest part of the article this morning was the following, almost certainly misquoted: “[He said] he did not expect so much of the play to be set to music, but that it added to the appeal.” It’s a MUSICAL. He has to have been misquoted, right? Am I being unjust? Not everyone is the theatre dork I am…

Wow. I had no idea that rant was coming. Yikes. Sorry. Moving on.

I’m glad it’s Friday. It’s been one of those weeks where Friday just can’t come soon enough. Faith and I are planning a sister’s night out tonight. We’ve been talking about going to a movie for ages, but we haven’t had time. I kind of want to see The Illusionist, so hopefully that will happen.

Okay, I now have work to do, so I guess I’d better do it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Faith said...

I sawwy!! I can't help getting sick. :( I want to see The Illusionist too, dangit!

10:49 AM  
Blogger Faith said...

Oh, yeah, and remember when the Shorthorn interviewed me, and referred to me as a graduate student in history? (I was an undergraduate student in English.)

10:52 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Time to tell the paper to hire new writers lol
Send a "letter to the editor" about their screw-ups, maybe they'll get the hint.

7:50 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Hope you're doing well :-)

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home